How to Perform a Quick Technical SEO Audit
Technical SEO should be described as the red-headed stepchild of search engine optimization. Often overlooked and under appreciated, but still a very valuable member of the family. As a top Digital Marketing Firm, we have seen firsthand how often sites are shooting themselves in the foot by not showing technical SEO enough love and attention. That is why we encourage all of our clients to regularly perform a quick technical SEO audit to find basic mistakes and problems that could be easily resolved if they were known.
Why is a Technical SEO Audit Important?
People talk a lot about SEO but most articles and tips are for what is called “on-page SEO”. In reality, search engine optimization has three true areas of focus: on-page SEO, off-page SEO, and technical SEO.
Technical SEO is focused on website and server optimization. On-page SEO focuses on content and optimizing individual pages. Off-page SEO refers to links and other external ranking signals such as social media marketing or influencer marketing.
Just like the other areas of search engine optimization, this area will perform better when a business regularly uses a quick technical SEO audit to find problems. These problems are usually very easy to fix. We also recommend businesses perform a more in-depth SEO audit annually, however that is another article for another time.
Technical SEO Audit Steps
- Crawlability check – Great content with the perfect keyword usage is rather pointless if a search engine can’t crawl and index your site. That is why the first step in a technical SEO audit is to always check the robots.txt file. A robots.txt file tells a search engine which parts of a site should be crawled, and which parts should be ignored through the use of “allow” and “disallow” commands. The reason to disallow sections is to save server resources and reduce bandwidth. The FREE Website Audit and find out!
Be sure to check back every week for great new Lounge Lizard blog articles.
- How to Achieve Higher SEO Rankings for your WordPress Website
- How to Properly Optimize your Website SEO for Voice Search
- 5 Takeaways from the recent Google I/O
- AMP Up Email Engagement and Conversions with Accelerated Mobile Pages
- Why and How to Secure your Website with the HTTPS Protocol